Sunday, November 27, 2011

renting software

This week’s article is called The End of Software Ownership -- And Why to Smile.  It was about the transfer of software from physical media to downloadable media.  What legal rights do buyers have when it comes to software?  According to the article we have very little rights after purchase.  Because of the license agreements that we sign when we purchase them, we are more like renters than owners. My first reaction to this is to defend my right as a consumer.  If I buy something I should be allowed to alter it however I please.  It goes back to the pink recliner.  The first piece of furniture I ever owned.  I drew things all over it.  You wouldn’t believe the reaction people had over it.  Some people where put out by this.  My point in doing it was that it was mine and I could do what I wanted with it.  Naturally I couldn’t help but be offended by the realization that I could by software for my computer but after the purchase it wasn’t really mine.  I have grown some sense the pink recliner though.  In reality I have for a long time been put off by things such as software and electronics because of the short life span.  It seems like a whole lot of money to spend on something that won’t last very long at all.  It occurs to me that with downloadable software the problem of outdated software becomes obsolete.  If the software I “buy” is downloadable it can be regularly updated. I feel like that is a fair trade.  I sign an agreement not to alter or resale their product and they regularly update said product so that the lifespan is expanded.  Still makes me a little uneasy but I get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment