Saturday, November 26, 2011

A Mind of her own!

I found the article information cocoons and wikis to be interesting.  I felt like it was a little hard to read.  The author either wrote above the averages Joes head because he is above the average Joe or because he wanted to appear smarter than he is.  Either way he probably lost a few potential readers because of it.  I myself stuck through and was glad I did.  I like what the author had to say about “group think”.   I feel like I am guilty of that in my college classes a good portion of the time.  Sometimes the art department here at Murray state can make people feel like they are not intelligent unless their ideas are in tune with the departments’ way of thinking.  I actually tested this theory in one of my studio classes.  I was frustrated with one of my professors because every concept I presented to her was turned down for being unoriginal.  For the life of me I couldn’t find any reason why my concepts where being viewed that way when I couldn’t find any evidence of these concepts being over used.  So I decided it was more likely that the concepts I was presenting where not concepts the professor agreed with.  So I decided to test my theory and the next day I approached said professor with the topic of Feminism.  Don’t cringe I am a feminist I just feel like I have seen more feminist art here at Murray State than I have seen any where my entire life.  Guess what happened?  My project was approved and I got an A.  So it goes that the department I love best for being so accepting of individual thinkers is in fact at; least in this small school, guilty of group think.  Of course turning out artists who are not capable of thinking for themselves is not nearly as dangerous as turning out politicians who can’t.  It is still disheartening.  

No comments:

Post a Comment