Saturday, November 26, 2011

I stole the Mona Lisa!

For my free blog this week I thought I would talk about how copyright seems to be absent in the world of visual arts.  It seems a whole other world in exist when it comes to visual art.  I suspect that this may be partial because painters and sculptures such as Leonardo or Raphael (and a few other ninja turtles) where never really free to make art that expressed their individual views.  They worked under the watchful eyes of the Catholic Church and composed works that were commissioned by higher class citizens such as the Medici.  It is common for artist today to share techniques and teach one another “how you did that”.  It is of course illegal for someone to forge a painting or sculpture with the intention of selling it as an original piece of art.  But copying the art of the masters is highly encouraged as a learning tool.  These copies are often sold as copies for a lesser value.  It is also common for prints to be made of popular art and sold for lesser value.  How many Mona Lisa’s have you seen out there?  I have one hanging in my house.  My Nephew thinks I stole it from France. 

No comments:

Post a Comment